Tuesday, May 14, 2013

To a poet and Ice creams



I met a poet today, who does not have Ice creams. I threatened to sue her under section $%^&*!@ of the Poetic Penal Code, but wonder of wonders that adamant creature still wouldn't have a sniff or even a poetic bite! I decided to soften my stance and offered 'Sensoform' for the obvious bad teeth..she took offence for no apparent reason and threatened to shoot me with bad poetry darts..I immediately retreated in great fear even as I tried to explain the sublime tragedy, the world of poetry would suffer for this ridiculous lapse... The idiot still shook her head, imagine my state! By this time I was desperate to get her to at least attempt a sniff, at the incorrigible amount of chocolate that seemed to be bruising down my poetic hands in sheer shame at the lack of a poetic adventure..but obviously she had vanilla skin and a head full of doughnuts..she instead wrote satire on napkins about the chocolate on my hands and its ugliness! I was livid and poured some Ice cream down a masala Chai drain..'But why', I screamed, in total incredulousness, what shall I say to the 'fraternity of hideous lines', of which we are all honorary members, to those dying to break out, smelling of Vanilla..She smirked then and I shook my head like a Tamilian, a creature of habit I was, I couldn't fathom the apparent 'No', in what could have been a mellifluous 'Yes'

In spite I wrote then, what has since then famously come to be known as 'The Dark Sonnet 814' dedicated to another fellow poet, who hadn't succumbed to Ice cream and brought upon shame to the entire Poetic fraternity- 'May Posterity forgive us', I finished in what I thought was a somber enough note. Every poet who does not have Ice cream I'm told doff s their hat at the Sonnet, breaks into a sigh and writes some bad poetry as a tribute.


* This is a pun on yours truly.

( Image from http://www.leoraw.com/blog/2013/04/sacrifice-of-abraham-by-valeri-drach-weidmann/ )

3 comments:

Sfurti said...

Haha...:-) Humorous and nice. FYI I am not a big fan of Ice cream or chocolates :-)

Easwar Arumugam said...

Ha ha ha.Nice pun. No ice cream for bad poets.

Debopam Banerjee said...

A nice read indeed......