Thursday, July 4, 2013

It is only happiness that is inevitable




Obsession with anything bores me. The obsession to write, the obsession to be read, the obsession to be this the obsession to be that. In the Mahabharata, King Drupad has two children, a male child called Drishtadyumna and a female child called Draupadi. Drishtadyumna has been described as a complete man, to a certain extent his violence is shown as his masculinity. Draupadi on the other hand is the complete woman, described as a passionate and sensuous. Both of them are strong and yet it is Shikhandi, Drupad's first born..the imperfect one, where gentleness lies.

Abbas Kiarostami's film 'Taste of Cherry', shows a morose Iranian who flags down passersby s seeking an accomplice in his suicide and starts talking to three men with different points of view. A scene in the car shows one of them saying, 'I know that suicide is one of the deadly sins..but being unhappy is a great sin too..we all have problems in life..if we chose this way out of each tiny problem..there would be no one left on earth.'






In Peter Brook's Mahabharata, when the Lake questions Yudhishtira he says that, 'it is only happiness is inevitable for all of us'. When I'm happy I write beautifully, when I write because I have to write, I am a moron..When I'm on my bicycle, I'm the Diva..I am my happiness..off it I'm another ordinary person in the pursuit of happiness. If there is any obsession that is right, it is to be happy for yourself and for those around.


( Image from the Internet)

2 comments:

The Unknowngnome said...

I am happy, and happy for you, when you write beautifully. :)

Maitreyee Bhattacharjee Chowdhury said...

Thank you Unknowngnome :) you always bring happiness.