Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Revisiting 'Opur Sansar'

Nine years is a long time
some would say a life time
and yet Sharmila hasn’t aged.
Strange,
those about to smile eyes,
the strand of hair misplaced
a sidurer tip, so cozy.

My daughter rides her cycle
her new bell rings out loud,
louder than Apu’s train in fact
it hides the sudden tears
of a happy copulated screen,
suddenly gone Kafkaesque.
In the distance are scraps of little dreams
floating in 
from another’s novel-
destroyed, stamped over
adrift, on a strange hillock.

Apu resides there,
I'm told
alone, voiceless, mindless.
I stare at my walls-
in the yellow of an evening light,
a pig is dead.
I put on a switch
Kajal lit eyes screech in happiness.

I have always hated the word ‘sansar’,
did Apu smile at last?
I look twice, touch him on the screen
and smile back.


( Written on watching Ray's 'Apur Sansar' after nine years again last week)

© 2013 Maitreyee Bhattacharjee Chowdhury

2 comments:

Indrani said...

How much I cried the last time I saw it! A great movie (and that is a very small word in magnitude)!

Maitreyee Bhattacharjee Chowdhury said...

Very true Indrani..its a beautiful film..thanks for reading :)