Wednesday, April 25, 2012

In search of calm a midst the confusion


Was in Benaras for a few days. I went looking for calm in the confusion, the strength of meditation, the power of the 'Sadhu'. I came back with the understanding that the mind is where the sadhu resides and the journey, the meditation. I met many saints, travelers, local people, but this man stood out. He lives near a wall in 'Dashwamedha ghat' in Benaras. For one whole day I watched him making his smoke, sleeping near the wall, behind which live snakes, light diyas in the evening. On the second day he called me and asked, "Kya chahiye", I told him I want to learn how to make and smoke the Chillum..he laughed..and asked me to take a puff..when I asked for more he said 'Pagal pan abhi baki hai kya?" we had great conversations..most evenings..I took back a lot from him..at last he told me.." aap hi Ma ho..aap hi mein bhagwan..dhundna band karo"

4 comments:

chitra said...

some times we keep searching every where despite knowing the fact that everything lies beneath us.

Raj said...

I guess that was a great experience and an enlightening one. I really admire your constant longing for a search! :)

Maitreyee Bhattacharjee Chowdhury said...

Yeah Chitra :) very true. Thanks Raj.

Thr Bone Doc said...

Lucky man, for he has realized the ultimate divinity that resides in each one of us - you realize it & life's journey is complete & everything else become irrelevant